THEORY & HAZARD PERCEPTION TEST
The multiple-choice part of the test is based on the following 3 books: -
The Highway Code –
‘Know your traffic signs’ –
Driving - the Essential Skills
I would recommend taking a practice theory test via the following link –
• 50 random multiple questions to be answered in 57 minutes on a touch screen.
• Most questions require one response from four possible answers given, but some may require two or more responses. The exact number of responses is clearly shown on the screen.
• You can move backwards and forwards through the questions and flag questions you want to review.
• You must score at least 43 out of 50 to pass the multiple-choice element of the test.
Three of the questions are about a short video. It will show a normal driving situation, such as:
driving through a town centre
driving on a country road
The video is silent. You can watch it as many times as you like during the test.
You are permitted up to a 3-minute break before the start of the Hazard Perception Test.
To prepare for the hazard perception part of the test you can use an official guide – available from the following links: -
You can also buy an interactive DVD from most high street and online bookshops.
• You will be shown a short video which explains how the test works and see a sample clip.
• The test will then take approximately 20 minutes to complete.
• You will be shown 14 clips of approximately 60 seconds each.
• You should click the mouse as soon as you see a hazard developing that may result in a driver having to take some action.
• You are scored out of 5 for how quickly you respond to each developing hazard.
• Do not just keep clicking! The program is designed to look for cheating and clicking in a pattern or 3 times or more in quick succession could result in a message being displayed and a score for zero for that video.
• The maximum possible score is 75 and you must score at least 44 to pass the hazard perception part of the test.
• Your results will be available within 10 minutes of the completion of the test.
• If you fail you must wait at least 3 clear working days before retaking.
• You must pass your practical test within 2 years of passing your theory test.
WHEN YOU PASS YOUR THEORY TEST MAKE SURE YOU KEEP THE PASS CERTIFICATE YOU ARE GIVEN IN A SAFE PLACE AS IT CONTAINS A REFERENCE NUMBER THAT YOU WILL NEED TO BOOK YOUR PRACTICAL DRIVING TEST!